Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Godzilla (2014) is AWESOME!



I've seen Gareth Edwards' Godzilla twice now, and I've absolutely loved it each time.  Even moreso the second time, honestly!

I liked the story, it was pretty pitch-perfect for a Godzilla movie albeit much faster paced IMO. GREAT first act with the mystery in the Philippines and everything that happens in Japan, Bryan Cranston puts in another awesome performance (as he always does). I've heard complaints about the Second Act and Aaron Taylor Johnson's performance, but I thought both were fine. It was a little slower, but it was just the bridge getting us from Point A to Point C. Act Three was, of course, a no-holds barred action smorgasbord and I loved every second of it! Elizabeth Olsen puts in a good performance, but isn't really given a whole lot to do. Of particular delight were Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, and David Strathairn as Dr. Serizawa, Dr. Graham, and Admiral Stetz - we get to spend a lot of screentime with them and I enjoyed every moment of it.  Presuming a sequel is made, I really hope these three are brought back as recurring characters.
 

If I had to compare Godzilla's characterization to any previous incarnation, I'd say the version he most resembles is probably Late Showa - specifically, either Godzilla in GvH (which makes sense, considering Yoshimitsu Banno's involvement) or in GvMG'74/ToMG. This was unexpected, because I had gone in assuming he would be channeling more Heisei Godzilla or Kiryuverse Godzilla, but I'm perfectly fine with that. ^_^
 

The Mutos were great opponents and, as some of the pre-release reviews suggested, are surprisingly sympathetic. Edwards and his FX team really did an amazing job imbuing these two newcomers with a lot of personality. The moment the two finally meet is actually quite tender, to the point where I thought to myself, "Aw! They're in WUV! ^.^" When they at last get to take on Godzilla, the fight is brutally tooth-and-claw - arguably the best tooth-and-claw fight in the whole franchise, IMO!
 

The movie's not perfect, obviously, but it's a very enjoyable and fun giant monster movie/summer blockbuster - I honestly doubt I'll enjoy any other movie as much as this one this year. If you went into this expecting a dark and gritty monster movie, more in line with Godzilla (1954) or Cloverfield, then you're going to be disappointed. Tonally, this has much more in common with Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974), Gamera: Guardian of the Universe, Godzilla 2000, and King Kong (2005). There are some shades of Heisei Godzilla, I suppose, but only in that there are shades of '70s Godzilla in his later '90s outings.

On my first viewing I had some nitpicks about Johnson's performance, Godzilla's screen time, and a couple of moments I initially feared would be seen as laughably campy.  On my second viewing, though, those nitpicks completely vanished.  I have no problems with this movie now.  ^_^

To my delight, it seems most everyone else agrees!  The movie has opened to an astounding $93.2 Million domestically and $103 Million internationally for a whopping $196 Million worldwide debut!!  The naysayers have been proven wrong and Godzilla appears well on its way to topping at least $400 Million by the end of its run.

Of course, Godzilla 31 has already been greenlit by Legendary and Warner Brothers.  xD

I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment